All in aid of charity

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

With the British weather at it's peek, the charity cake sale I held on Saturday couldnt have been better planned. With a little bit of bunting, an event tent, a tea urn and plenty of cake, my garden was transformed for friends, family and neighbours to descend and help raise some money.
For those that know me well, I have been training for the 2011 London Marathon. My chosen charity is MACS www.macs.org.uk A very worthy charity for blind, and partially sighted children. Unfortunately, due to injury it looks like I will need to defer my entry until next year, but Im still very keen to raise money for this little and unheard of charity.
So, cake is where it's at. It's what I do and I know everyone loves cake so a cake sale was the perfect opportunity to raise sponsorship. Shamelessly it was also a good opportunity to spread the La De Dah word. Not many of my neighbours knew I had ventured into the world of cake and it was also an opportunity for friends and family to sample some of my cupcakes.
I made other types of cake too, including a gorgeous Lemon & Thyme Cake by Nigel Slater which I adore and went down well too.
The day was lovely. People trickled in, a lot of people took cake away, and with the help of a lovely donation of Patisserie boxes from my local Waitrose they were able to do so. Some people stayed, enjoyed the sunshine and had tea and cake. Those that brought their children were able to stay and play. Overall it was a splendid afternoon.

Cake sales raised £500! A little more fundraising will bring in a bit more taking the overall total to £700. Not a bad afternoons work. 100% of the profit will be going to MACS. I didnt make a bean but feel much better that all the hard work will be going to such a worthy charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment